(Posts are displayed newest-first. To start from the beginning, start from the bottom!)

Sunday, August 22, 2010

An Introduction

Since I first saw Star Wars back in 1977, I've wanted my very own R2-D2.  However, I never thought I'd be building one myself.  Then, one ridiculously hot and humid day, having decided to get back to my geek roots, I went to Star Wars Celebration V, a giant fan-fest for all things Star Wars.

There were R2-D2s there.  I don't just mean one or two, but a room-full of perfect-looking droids.  It turns out there's a world-wide club dedicated to building them, the R2 Builders Club.  I got to speak with several of them at the Celebration, and they were all very encouraging for "newbies" to dive in.  It turns out they have mountains of information to share: detailed blueprints, suggestions, stories, part ideas... all readily available along with plenty of offers of support.

Obligatory Slave Leia Picture
So, long story short (oops... too late), I am starting construction on my very own R2-Series Astromech Droid.  I'm hopeful I can get this done within one year, but other commitments, finances, and parts availability may all play a part.  I know a guy who knows a guy who built one in just a couple of months, but even the other builders are astonished by that kind of turn-around.  This should keep me busy for quite awhile, and I'll have to learn some new skills along the way, but I am really looking forward to this.

Here I go!

1 comment:

  1. Note, this is just the initial post of this blog; there is more to see!

    To see my full progress so far, just head to http://grantbuildsanr2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete